Thursday, August 26, 2010

WORDS

You know, it says in Matthew 12:37 that by our words we will be acquitted, and by them we will be condemned. It also talks about how we will have to give an account for all the careless words we speak. And that got me thinking, if our words are spoken about like this in the bible, they must be important. Why then do we not take more care and put more thought into the words that come out of our mouths.
You know, I had this one experience when I went to Africa on a team of people. We all got along great, but I always used to joke around about my weight and one or two of the girls on my team too. And they all knew I was joking, so I thought it was ok. It turns out though that another girl on the team had massive weight issues when she arrived home. And, I’m not sure whether my joking about my weight had anything to do with what happened with her. But it’s scary for me to think that I may have been the reason for her having weight problems. And even though she eventually got over her weight problems, it got me thinking about all the other people’s lives that have been stuffed up through what other people have said to them. And not just weight, but also on other things like when you rip someone off, or say careless words without thinking, or participate in conversations you shouldn’t. And your words can even affect yourself depending on whether they come from a bitter heart, etc.
I know a lot of people who have been hurt from what people have said to them. Whether its promises that have been un-kept, or harsh words. I have seen people’s lives be messed up because of what people have said to others.
Words can make, or break people. An encouraging word can lift someone up and make them feel worth something, and a harsh word can crush people’s spirit, their very life. A promise kept can bring people closer together, and a promise un-kept can tear them apart, not mentioning the deep trust issues that develop from un-kept promises.
So it’s important to make sure that your words are not ruining someone else’s lives. Make sure you think before you speak. After all, you will be judged according to your words.
So many people are turned off Christianity because of hypocrites. People who say one thing and do another. I don’t want to be responsible for someone going to hell for eternity because of some careless words I speak. Be an example of a true follower of Christ and only say things that will edify Christ.
People’s lives on earth (and your own) can be ruined and wrecked because of your words, but the thing I’m more worried about is how it affects their and your eternity. Are your words hurting others? Is Christ being glorified by your words? Matthew 12 says that out of the overflow of the heart, the mouth speaks. So what you say is who you are inside. When I thought about this verse it shocked me, because I realized that even though I participated in conversations I shouldn’t have and didn’t think it was right what was being said, I still went along with it, and that was who I was to others. What others see is who I am to them.
Set a good example to others through what you say. I don’t want to be responsible for ruining other peoples lives both here on earth, but more so in eternity.

No comments:

Post a Comment